Students follow the AQA specification at A level. The A level route is a two year course. Students complete two examinations at the end of the course. There is also a controlled assessment report which students complete after a four-day residential visit. This is a 3000-4000 word document and is worth 20% of the final result.
Students study the water and carbon cycles and glacial systems and landscapes topics from component 1 in year 12. They also study global systems and global governance and contemporary urban environments from component 2.
Assessments take place throughout each topic and during the mock exam periods in March and June.
A Level Support
Students are provided with their own textbook which they should use at home and bring to each lesson
The specification for schemes of work and practise exam questions can be found here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/geography/as-and-a-level/geography-703
Trips and enrichment
MARCH 2016: A-Level Geography Field Investigation - Sefton Coastline near Liverpool
- As part of their A-Level course, Year 13 Geography students visited the coast between Liverpool and Southport to investigate changes in the sand dune profile. During the 3 day visit students planned, carried out and evaluated a full study of a transect, which they will write about in their summer exam.
What can I do with a qualification in Geography?
Jobs directly related to geography
- Commercial/residential surveyor
- Environmental consultant
- Weather person
- Geographical information systems officer
- Planning and development surveyor
- Secondary school teacher/ college or university lecturer
- Town planner
Jobs where geography would be useful:
- International aid/development worker
- Landscape architect
- Logistics and distribution manager
- Market researcher
- Nature conservation officer
- Sustainability consultant
- Tourism officer
- Transport planner
Geography is the bridge between the arts subjects and the world of science. As a result, the skills you develop in Geography are rich and varied enabling you to do a variety of different jobs. It is proven to be one of the most employable subjects.