- Year 7
- Year 8
- Year 9
- Year 10
- Year 11
- More Able
- Deaf and Hearing Impairment Team
- English as an Additional Language
Literacy is very important to us at Allerton Grange. Research shows that people with good literacy skills are more likely to have higher self-esteem, better health, better jobs and higher wages than those with poor literacy skills. We want our students to have the best possible opportunities in life, so we seek to improve their skills in speaking, reading and writing throughout their whole time in the school.
English classes in Year 7 have at least 30 minutes per week devoted to improving literacy skills. However, Literacy is delivered in all subject areas and our Literacy Ambassadors are used to improve literacy skills in all classrooms.
There are various literacy interventions and opportunities for improvement.
- Year 7 readers with a reading age of between 6 and 8 years will be included in a Ruth Miskin reading group, focusing on phonics and comprehension strategies.
- Year 7 students participate in the Accelerated Reader Programme which encourages students to read widely and improve their reading skills through taking quizzes.
- A small number of students in Year 7 take part in the Boosting Reading programme, delivered by our Sixth Form students via one-to-one sessions over 10 weeks.